MV Not Working

Hi all! New to the forum, so go easy on me.

I recently purchased a new MV to use for control/output, but it wouldn’t power on properly. Installed and reinstalled the drivers, but all I would get was a blinking green LED on the back of the unit. I’ve used the same model of unit a few times with my MacBook, so I figured something was wrong. Contacted my vendor, they sent a replacement right away. Got it today and it’s behaving exactly the same way. They’re overnighting me a third unit.

While I do get a blinking green LED on the back, I get no backlights behind the buttons and no DMX output. I opened up the System Information to see if the unit is even showing up on the hardware side and it is not. Again, I’ve successfully used a different MV unit with my MBP before, and I’ve checked my logs to confirm that I’ve had no OS updates since then. Currently running Mojave on both laptops.

Troubleshooting Steps Taken:
Tried on a MacBook Pro, and a MacBook Air
PRAM Reset on the MBP (MBA won’t let me for some reason)
Tried with 2 different MV units
Tried with 3 different USB cables
Updated from V3 R1 to V3 R2 on MBP (need to try on MBA, although I’m not feeling optimistic)
Unplugged and plugged in the unit(s)
Held red and yellow buttons during bootup to try for firmware update

Not sure what to do next at this point. I don’t feel like the issue is with the units, but I don’t know what else could be the cause. Thanks in advance

1 Like

I have the same exact problem. I have installed and reinstalled the software and drivers multiple times with no success. Strangely there are random times on a fresh boot up that Vista 3 actually recognizes the MV Console and it works like it should. The very next time we try using it, the MV is dead again. The green status light on the back of the unit is always blinking.
Wondering if you ever got this solved?

from Vista tech support:

" We have always, and continue to, recommend unplugging the MV after use and replugging it in after Vista is started on MacOS systems. This has been the case for quite a while due to changes in MacOS starting with El Capitan."

Hi dsisco,

I was able to consistently resolved this issue. I can’t say 100% that I understand what happened, but what I think happened was that my MacBook Air was unable to supply the needed voltage from it’s USB ports to power the MV. I came to this conclusion after doing some further research around the web concerning the MBA. My solution was a usb power injector that I got from amazon. USB plugs into computer, power cable plugs into the wall, boom power aplenty for all who need it. Not sure if this is allowed, but here’s a link for the item.

https://smile.amazon.com/HooToo-9-Port-Charging-Transfer-iPhone/dp/B00FR795WA/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hootoo+powered+usb+hub&qid=1574176952&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Since I’ve had this in place, I’ve no longer had this issue.

Thanks for the follow up. A powered USB hub was the solution for me as well. It’s just a case of some computers not supplying enough power to the console. I’m glad it was something simple!